Mittwoch, 29. Juli 2015

Did someone say Cookie?

There is this stare I get, followed by a wide gaze turning into a well meaning smile, when I tell people, what I'm currently up to. Like grandma listening to a seven year old's story about how he is going to grow up to be a professional soccer player. "Of course my dear ... eat your cookie!".

What follows are questions. Tons of questions. The first one usually turns around "What the heck is the AT?", the second one being "WHAT?!" (replaced by a wide eyed emoticon in online conversations). At that point, the person I'm talking to just learned, that the AT (trail lingo for Appalachian Trail) is a two thousand one hundred something mile trail through the Appalachians. Even the ATC, the trail conservancy, is not hundred percent sure how long it really is, since the distance varies throughout various publications. Sometimes even within the same book.

I does not really matter, since it's going to take you five or six months to get from Springer, Georgia to Mount Kathadin in Maine. So, who's counting anyway?

Let me start by telling you a little more about me. And you might get why people around me are shying away from getting in board with my plan: At 35+ and 200 lbs (+), my last physical activity dates back to December. And even then, distributing the xmas presents gave me sores for days. Ok, I might be overselling here but you get my drift. I'm in no condition to walk 500 miles, let alone 2200. With stuff on my back ...

But I like a challenge as much as the next guy and I love planning. There is no greater fun for me than reading in, looking up, researching, comparing, plotting, deciding and executing. And this, my friends, is the mother of all plans.

To me at least it is. Now, stop smiling.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen