Donnerstag, 30. Juli 2015

Why?

"Why?" is propably the most FAQ. Why would you leave the safe and comfortable embrace of society, with all its perks, its electricity, its conveniance and - most importantly - its connectivity, and trade it all for a walk in the woods. For days without end, with 50 lbs on your back, countless blisters on your feet, to recuperate in a rodent infested shelter with half a dozen other smelly bearded men. Why, indeed ...

I've been reading quite a lot of accounts and journals these past few days and I guess that, in the end, it always boils down to one of three reasons:

1. to run away from something;
2. to look for something new;
3. to go on an adventure.

Or, as for me, all of the above.

I had a little wake up call a while back. My life had become a dull routine and work was all I lived for. Don't get me wrong: I love my job but I guess I became too consumed by it all. And I'm still pissed at myself. Because I had a good thing going for me back then. But by the time I had my priorities straight, it was too late.

It's been a journey ever since and I guess I need this to close the chapter once and for all.

I've aimlessy been on the lookout for a new project for a while now. Because when I saw the FB picture of a friend, who just finished the Camino in Europe, it hit me: A long distance hike might just be what I need. A physical challenge which needs a lot of preparation and planning. Something to fill me out for the months to come, with a huge reward in the end. 

But why the AT? I remembered the trailer for "A walk in the woods", the movie based on Bill Bryson's book. So, I started looking up the Appalachian Trail. And the more I read, the more I knew. It is a challenge, for sure. You can stay in the woods for days or weeks at a time, just relying on yourself and the things out of your backpack. If needed though, you are always just a few miles away from the next trail town. I like the sense of community on the trail itself. And in every single account I read, in every single interview I watched, the hikers all said the same thing: they absolutely loved it. That means a lot, coming from people who - in most cases - quit their job, left society and all their loved ones behind to head off to a mostly uncertain future. But they loved it. 
 
I guess, I'm the walking cliché then. A guy, tired with everyday life, tries to break out of the routine in reconnecting with nature. So be it. But I am absolutely fascinated by the idea. That's why you'll meet me on Springer Mountain, beginning March. See you there!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen