Montag, 21. September 2015

Times they are a changing

I'd never thougt I'd be researching wilderness permits for the High Sierra by the end of the summer. But that's what I'm doing. Coming Feb, 10th, 2 pm GMT, I will have to send in a request for a permit to use a Yosemite trailhead to access JMT on August, 10th.

With 700 requests daily, it'll be tough to get one of 20 daily permits. But there are options and we have a few days leeway.

Gone are the days, I was thinking about an AT through hike. The more I read about the current state of things on these long distance hikes, the less I feel compelled to attempt one. Don't get me wrong: I hot great admiration for these thru hikers but I am bot sure if this is the right "hike" for me. AT has become somewhat of a party trail with a lot of college drop outs and so called court-holderes, revered hiker-gods, attempting their 23 rd thru hike and living off their followers on the trail. Not my kind of hike.

I guess, the AT is more about the 2200 mile journey, the people you meet along the way and the soul searching pilgrimage. It is appealing, also to me. But the more I train, hike and read, the more I find myself to be one of the instant gratification kind: kill yourself on a 5 mile switchback and enjoy the amazing view on top of a pass. Trek 12 miles and enjoy camp at a shore of the likes of a Cathedral Lake.

So withonly 6 hiking weeks to spare for 2016, I'd rather spend 3+ weeks in the High Sierra than 4 werks on a section hike through the Appalachians.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen